Orientation days 1-3

There is now a cast of 33 new characters in my life.  My classmates and future colleagues.  The 33 other people who, like me, are thinking, "I hope I can do this".  They will help me learn, help me grow, and build me up.  I hope I can return the favor

Orientation, was like many other orientations I have been to:  awkward, stressful, and extremely boring. Administrivia has never been my strong suit.  Also, I just about ran out of business attire within the three days, so I guess I still have some shopping to do.  My ongoing closet emergency.

I have never been simultaneously built up and broken down before.  It is an odd and confusing sensation that has (actually) kept me up at night.  The entire three days vacillated between welcoming us, telling us we were great, and gearing us for the tsunami that is about to break upon us.  "Congratulations on being here. You should be proud. This will be the worst summer of your life. Don't think about quitting- you're going to be okay but if you think the summer sounds bad- just wait until the fall. It's amazing that you're here and we're so happy about it. But this will be very difficult and you always feel like you're behind and you will never catch up. Kiss your family goodbye.  And if you miss one day you might as well quit.  But everything will be fine. Are you thirsty?  Drink from this fire hose."  And so-on along those lines.

There was the inevitable task of going around the room to introduce everyone. Give credentials, give a "fun fact' about yourself.  Oh, Lordy.  By my turn, I had forgotten my credentials and realized there was absolutely nothing interesting to tell about myself.  We did avoid awkward ice breaker activities, but that may have been easier than trying to look like I belonged there.  I did feel that no one was being false, and everyone was kind, intelligent, and ready for action. All are happily nerdy and proud of their academic accomplishments, as they should be.

So, I remain cautiously optimistic.  Terrified, excited, and more anxious than I am comfortable with.


Comments

Mom said…
We have your back - no matter what!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs