Are those trauma shears in your pocket, or...

I have always been curious about what other Paramedics/EMTs carry with them when they’re on the job. It is thought that rookies inherently carry so much that their pants fall down and seasoned providers barely carry a working pen. In the world of squirrel holsters, voluminous EMS pants, and hip packs, what do you carry?

Here’s me.
belt: pager/minitor
right pant pocket: leatherman squirt, cash, led flashlight
left pant pocket: chapstick, gum, an alcohol prep or two if I’m doing transfers, cell phone (or it's in my jacket)
right back pocket: pad of paper
left back pocket: hand drawn map
right cargo pocket: trauma shears, 2 pens (one zebra pen, one ‘scrote’ pen, penlight, protocol book
left cargo pocket: stethoscope (if it’s not around my neck) EMS field guide
radio strap: radio (if applicable)
right boot: straight razor (just kidding)

Any comments appreciated!

Comments

Anonymous said…
can i comment even if i'm not a medic?

at my old job it was in the right pocket my cell phone and my keys, in the left was $20 in cash, lighter, wine opener, in the apron was a whole boatload of pens, a highlighter,a nd a sharpie.

at my new job, right pocket has the cell, left has a few dollars cash, ipod, headphones, chapstick, back pocket has a box cutter. everythign else stays in the locker.
Anonymous said…
L Shirt Pocket: Sony video mp3 player in case I get bored. (pen in holder of pocket, pen torch on holder thing above pocket)

R Shirt Pocket: ID Card, cash, debit card, chewing gum.

R Trouser Pocket: Personal mobile phone.

R Cargo Pocket: Diary, clinical guidelines book, work phone.

L Cargo Pocket: Shears, decent (but small) LED torch, spare gloves.

Steth lives in the pocket of my fleece, I've not figured out where it'll live come summer lol Nothing on my belt as it digs in to me side :-(
Slack said…
i used to carry all kinds of stuff in my pockets, but I have upgraded to a "man purse" to keep pants lite

i only carry a pager, a phone, a radio, and a leatherman on me now, occasionally a pen if opportunity to steal a cool one from the hospital arises.

man purse has all the essentials - cheater books, acls cards, hand written drug cards from school, and my drug guide for paramedics - stethoscope, gum, more gum, glasses cleaning cloth, appointment book, and some shears.

amazing how much junk i carry in that thing...
Anonymous said…
I want to play too! Right scrub pocket: calipers, work phone, pager, scissors, a pen or two, Maglite penlight. Left scrub pocket: highlighter, red Sharpie, black Sharpie, cash, chapstick, gum, more pens, alcohol wipes. Right jacket pocket: my cell phone, lipgloss, comb. Left jacket pocket: tissues, loose change, alcohol wipes more pens!
PDXMedic said…
Belt: Pager, Benchmade Rescue Hook (work bought 'em for us), maglite loop, little carabiner.

L cargo pocket: Gloves, N95 mask (one of the collapsing ones).

R cargo pocket: Scissors, flashlight, trauma system wristband.

R back pocket: Radio.

R front pocket: Field guide, tape, tourniquet.

Shirt pockets: Pen, sharpie, handcuff key, phone, chapstick, earplugs.


I manage to carry a lot of crap without having too much of the ricky rescue look (I think) and it's all stuff I basically use regularly.
Unknown said…
That's WAY too much stuff... If you carry more stuff than will fit into a baseball cap, you are insecure and need some confidence.
Anonymous said…
I only carry EMS Professional FlightShears and a carabiner flashlight.
Anonymous said…
www.trauma-shears.com

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs