800

Welcome to the 800th post! Yes, I can feel the excitement. '800 posts?!' You are marveling to yourself 'How time flies!' Just think of all the strange and interesting and nerdy tidbits about my life you've been privy to. And you can relive the magic of 800 posts simply by scrolling to the end of this page and clicking 'older posts' about 90 times. Please do, in fact. Especially if you want to publish 'A Work in Progress' the movie. I'm open to suggestion.

Ah, but now to the point. Well, to be fair, I don't have one. Oh yes, I was going to explain to the none of you out there who found yourselves wondering 'What ever happened to that car project Ellie was alluding to a few weeks ago?' Well, it is an interesting story so you sit right down and prepare yourself for a tale of woe and heartbreak.
I have lusted after a classic Mini Cooper for many a year now. Constantly trolling on ebay and minimania for that perfect, cheapish, and not in terrible shape Mini of the past. I came close a few times to buying one and by 'I came close' I mean that I really thought about it, looked at plane ticket prices, maps, and how much mini parts are and then promptly decided against bidding or forgot and the auction was over.
Perhaps one day the Mini gods would smile upon me. And then, out of nowhere, they did. While driving with some friends, I saw it.  Like a tiny beacon calling to me. 1984, red, shoulder belts, head rests, right hand drive, bonnet stripes, low mileage, manual, and most importantly: running. Perfect. And so was the price. So, it needed a clutch, a small price to pay.
I vacillated for about a week and tried to be adult about such a decision. In the end, decided that I could justify owning it in a completely practical way. I called the guy on a Friday to tell him that the Mini would be mine. High fives all around.
On Saturday it snowed. It was a very freak snow in October and it was wacky but tolerable. I thought of poor old mini out of a garage for the first time in 10 years an having it's first snow. Aww.
On Monday morning I called the guy to work out some deets. Things took a strange turn when he said that the mini had been hit by a snow plow. Seriously, at that exact moment I lost the call. He called back in a few minutes and I said 'Oh good, I thought I was going crazy and we entered a parallel universe where you told me that my mini was hit by a snow plow. That was weird!' It was then that he informed me that it had in fact been plowed. Literally. And not just any plow, a state owned enormous giant terrible plow. And you can imagine what that might do to a defenseless mini cooper.
And with that, the mini dream is back on and in case you were wondering, there's nothing on ebay right now.

That is not what I intended for the 800th post, but there it is. Here, have a tissue. Other than that I broke my not getting sick rule, started a lot of fires in my house, and really enjoyed watching Contagion. But more on that later.

Here's to 800 more.

p.s.  I just had to publish 2 drafted posts so as not make a liar out of me with this '800th post'  A cookie to anyone who finds them.

Comments

Mom said…
Looking forward to 800 more!
Unknown said…
i love your blog.. Here's to 800 more..

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs