Summer

I must have let it be known in the previous six years of the blog that I mostly hate summer.  Almost exclusively because it's hot.  Secondly because there are school age kids in public in the middle of the day in the middle of the week.  But mostly it's the heat.
A couple of weeks ago I got a hair cut (well, all of them, budum, chee!) mostly because the summer is hot and I hate it and the long hair really gets annoying.  But my hair is now just a little too short to pull back and must nearly constantly be beaten into submission and forced behind my ears.  This is fine unless I'm doing, well, anything.
Last week at work I ran a cardiac arrest and I found myself poised with a laryngoscope and taking a time out to pointedly put my hair behind each ear.  It took about 20 seconds for my hair to wriggle out and then be perpetually in my face because I didn't want to touch it with my dirty gloves.  That, plus the heat of the day was causing me to sweat in a very un-ladylike fashion and I was constantly wiping my brow pointlessly with my arm.  I couldn't take my gloves off as by that point they were kind of a permanent part of my sweaty hands and if I got them off, I'd have to wait an hour before my hands would be dry enough to accept a clean pair.  So, I had to fling my hair in a whiplash inducing toss to keep it relatively out of my face, and despite a good tube, constant CPR, and at least seven defibrillation attempts, the code was not successful. Which left me irritated, hot, and in desperate need of a slurpee. I must have looked more harried than I felt by the time we got to the hospital because no matter how insanely loud the a/c is running in the back of an ambulance, little progress is made toward it becoming less of an oven on wheels.
But sometimes, I really love summer.  Swimming, eating ice cream as fast as I can to keep it from melting, the smell of barbecues from every back yard, long days, the sound of insects in the evening, watermelon, lightning bugs, corn on the cob.  Not to mention almost unlimited time to play outside.  Okay, so summer isn't so bad.
Yesterday, though, I found myself taking my bike ride in the heat of the day (I know, stupid!).  I had decided on a little variety and took my usual loop backwards.  It turned out that this was a bad idea as some hills look much better going down than coming up.  In fact, some seem to never end.  I was ten miles from home and ready to quit, stopping at each shady patch to evaluate my situation.  It was so freaking hot and before me were hills and after me were hills.  I sucked it up (though I had no choice) and completed the loop in it's entirety cursing my lack of available safe short cuts.  The only redeeming feature was that I found a working pair of elitist headphones on the side of the road.  Finding stuff for the win!

Anyway, enough whining about summer.  It's not all mosquito bites and dehydration.

Comments

Liver Flush said…
It is an interesting and amazing blog post..thank you for the post..
Tara said…
two words...bobby pins:~)

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs