Shipping up to Boston

When I got home, a couple of friends invited us to join them in a road trip to Boston on St. Patty's day weekend to see the Dropkick Murphys. Great Irish American and former New Englander that I am, I had barely heard of them.
But we said to ourselves, ...a weekend, in Boston, Irish band, sam adams...why not? In preparation I rewatched the Departed and said 'oh yeah, that song!' and I was ready.
So nine of us piled into a huge van and headed north. We arrived in time for dinner and headed up early the next morning to take in beautiful and historic Boston. And by beautiful and historic Boston I mean the Samuel Adams Brewery. This is hands down the most generous free tour around. On the tour we got to stick our faces in a pile of hops just like in the commericials and see the huge faux-copper tanks of beer. What really mattered though was the free tasting glass, and the pint or two we managed to fill it with. A dangerously short amount of time passed in the tasting room, and we headed right to Doyles for two more and another free glass. I can be bought with free glassware.
By then we were all quite happy indeed and it was only 1:30 in the afternoon. We headed, rather bravely, to a seafood restaraunt. I continued to try the 'award winning' chowder in every resatraunt we went to. I love that every single chowder in the north east is award winning. It must be really bad if your chowder hasn't won an award. They're all good to me, so awards all around!
We had a nap in the afternoon in anticipation of a long evening. The concert itself was really good. The opener was acually enjoyable and the Murphys have a great energy. And wow, people really like them! There was some great people watching going on and I enjoyed waiting for the group in front of us to get into a beer fueled fist fight. The band really mixes a lot of things and it's age demographic reflects that. There were clearly non chapperone older people there as well as kids. Standard isssue seating as well as a mosh pit. I can't fault a band that brings out six bagpipers and then celebrates some hot licks on the tin whistle, banjo, and accordian. Oh, and throw in some Irish step dancers too.
It was altogether a good time and I was happy to have survived it. We spent Sunday morning in the city which was a nice relaxing time.
So, DKM, we'll probably see you next year.

Comments

Mala said…
Yeah!
PFRussell said…
Sounds like you had an awesome time! You saw one of my favorite bands in one of my favorite cities.
Andy said…
I would be willing to bet those kettles are actually copper!
Ellie said…
only on the outside

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs