Oo-de-lally

According to my favorite Disney classic, the 1973 Robin Hood, back in the day, "oo-de-lally" was a commonly used phrase. After spending an afternoon in Nottingham, I can attest with certain authority that no one says it anymore (if ever). Also, sadly, we didn't find a troubadour rooster, or an outlaw dressed as a stork with an uncanny talent at archery.
What we did find was Nottingham castle. Like many English landmarks, it is a much changed place from it's original buildings, but now houses a nice museum focused on the history of Nottingham. When we'd had our fill we enjoyed the city center all set for Christmas with an ice rink, and (the now ubiquitous) German Christmas market.
It was really nice and only rained a little. We went into the St. Stephens church, and wandered through some of the charming streets, ending at another museum, more dedicated to Robin Hood. Did he exist? Did a "Rob Hod" exist? Who knows? Although I love Disney's version I seriously question its historical accuracy, but who really cares? It's a great story true or not. I'm really glad I don't go to Nottingham University because the whole time I was there "Not in Nottingham" was going through my head. I guess it didn't help that I watched the movie in preparation for the trip.

Comments

Kat Moss said…
Just reading your posts and finding them really interesting. I live in Nottingham (have done all my life except when gallevanting around the world). You should have gone to the Lace Market. It's a shame you only had the afternoon here as it is a great city and loads to do. Primark alone can take up half a day! Anyway, just wanted to say I am wnjoying your blog.
x

http://behind-the-scenes-goldenpsych.blogspot.com/

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs