Book Cover

Before I got there, I chalked this sick person call at 2am up to relative nonesnese. And when we got there, my suspicians were initially confirmed when we found a hyperventilating woman who had...Okay, I'll stop. It's hard to describe how I think come calls are just not up to par. However I describe it on paper sounds absolutely awful, so I won't bother. And in this case, my initial feelings may have been based on my increased standards for a reasonable reason to call 911 after midnight than in daylight hours.
But in this case, despite my preexisting notions, as I looked a little closer, this patient was ashen, sweaty, and complainig of chest pain. She was clutching her chest so tightly that the cotton of her shirt was crushed into the shape of her fist. The sharp wrinkles lingered after she released her hand.
We got her into the ambulance and a quick 12 lead later we were on our way to the nearest interventional cath lab. The call went really well, and the patient ended up having a 45 minute door to balloon time. In a snowstorm!

Comments

PDXMedic said…
We once went on a breathing problem one night, and the 40s-ish female patient with a history of anxiety who stated she thought she'd just hyperventilated.

She was just a bit diaphoretic around the neck and face. On a whim, I said, "Let's do a 12-lead." My partner shrugged. She always thought I was a zebra-hunter.

The STEMI was huge, of course.

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs