Maybe it's a British Thing Pt. 7

Few things reveal cultural differences and distinctions more than alcoholic beverages and their consumption. There is nothing more British than a pint of real ale. Real ale is a phenomenon to me, each with a different taste, color, and origin. There are so many, most pubs have a couple standard options and a rotation of several others.  When I go to the pub, I just pick one at random and hope for the best. This tact hasn't let me down!
I guess I can clarify that a 'real ale' or cask ale uses traditional ingredients, is fermented in the same container it is dispensed from, and no CO2 is added. This mostly means that each brew tastes distinctive and it doesn't come out of a regular tap, but has to be manually pumped from the cask. They are brewed all over the country (and world) and each brewery has its own flavors and secret recipes. Basically, a lager, is a lager, is a lager, as I was wisely told, and a cask ale is always different and usually always good. There are actual national regulations and specifications for real ale that are too complicated for me to describe/understand. But CAMRA would be happy to give you the details.

Going to the pub here is very cultural and it is said that more business is conducted after hours in the pub than at any other time. There are also unspoken rules about round buying which I clearly don't understand. When I went with classmates, someone would buy, and I would feebly pat my pockets as they forbade me to pay. I could never quite figure out the pattern and I know that I owe several people a round (or two).
If it's a pub that serves food, something that I really enjoy is that you order at the bar, pay, they bring out the food, you eat it and leave. There's no tipping, awkward serving, or bill paying confusion. It's like brushing your teeth before showering. Somehow it feels like you've saved time and energy.

Real ale isn't the only thing to drink in pubs. Regular taps usually exist, and something that I really like is a shandy, which is half beer, half lemonade. Before you vomit, know that lemonade in this country does not involve lemons at all, but is more like lemon flavored soda. Trust me, a shandy is a nice, refreshing drink, perfect for the designated drivers. Pimms and lemonade is also a nice drink. Summer this year lasted about a week, and in that week, I am sure lots of it was consumed. If it is over 30 degrees C, all self respecting Britons are melting in the heat and sipping some Pimms to recover.
I guess it's a bit universal that people drink, and no surprise that some people drink too much. But here, it's really a thing. I mean, the London Ambulance Service had to adopt the use of an actual drunk bus for special occasions (Fridays).  I think that's kind of telling, but perhaps I should refrain from comment considering I can't remember the last time I was even in remote need of a booze bus.
But I think the singing deserves mention. I've never lived in such a close proximity to a city center as I do now. This yields, virtually every night, groups of drunk people parading by, singing loudly, shouting, or getting into fights. Why is this? What is it about the drink that drains British youth of all reservation, making them sing loudly and proudly while wandering down the middle of the street?
Either way: pubs? We Americans need them. But real ale? We need that more. Oh, and Guinness on tap, wood panelling, and bi-monthly traditional music do not a pub make

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs