Cov Love

Like all transitional phases of life, the last few days here in Cov have been strange and great and sad at the same time.  The next few days will be handing in my thesis, packing all my stuff into suitcases, stocking up on my favorite candy and tea, eating at the best restaurants in town, and hanging with friends that I will soon have to leave for some time.

I had my last service at the cathedral on Sunday which was very nice and peaceful.  Later, a couple of friends and I finally went to Cadbury World to check out how Britain's favorite chocolate is made.  This is completely worth it, if you can get tons of discounts on entry like we did.  It's pretty camp and silly, but has a fair balance of stuff for kids and adults. After the history of chocolate and Cadbury's, at a very brief point we actually saw some factory action where the bars were being put into wrappers.  What I found interesting is that they are very insistent about not taking photos in that area.  What am I going to do, sell their 'secrets' to Hershey's?  I'm pretty sure that Hershey's has the 'putting the chocolate in wrappers' thing pretty down by now.
They also have a very wacky ride that was more like 'it's a small world' than anything having to do with making chocolate.  Samples were aplenty which really sets it apart from the Hershey factory. I mean, what do you get there these days?  A kiss? At one point we got to pick our favorite candy and then they poured melted chocolate on it.  Amazing.  That alone was worth admission.
There was a disappointing and distinct lack of bargains in their store.  I am sure that more mistakes are made than they are letting on, and I would happily have bought them all.  Although, you can get some different products there, which I guess is nice for the connoisseur. 

Yesterday I spent a few hours formatting and organising my thesis.  I am sure there is an easier way to make a table of contents than by hand, but whatever.  I nervously printed it out and then payed the exorbitant amount of money to have it bound into a fancy book.  Seriously, it's extortion.  But they don't give you much choice.
Tomorrow I will pick it up, give it a once over, and hand it in.  That is pretty exciting, although finishing the whole thing felt very anti-climactic.  It wasn't like I went to a fancy hotel and the vandalised the room to declare that I was finished.  I sort of said what I wanted, checked the word count, added a little more, and once I had enough, stopped.  I ended with about 14,500. 

I also printed out my tickets and itinerary which was all very comforting. As long as I can get everything I need in my backpack, I will feel very confident starting this chapter of the wild ass plan. 

I will take extra moments this week to wander through the city center, extra time to enjoy the company I have, and extra consideration to keeping in touch in the future.  Having friends in different states is one thing, having friends in different continents is quite another.

Comments

Mom said…
It's an emotional time! We are excited that the paper is finished and bound! Good on you!!

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs