Biz Con Man

For a non business person, business continuity management and its associated everything is entertaining for a limited time. It is a very interesting concept, and as one instructor put it is "common sense written down and put into practice" or something like that. I'm a big proponent, although if it ever has a practical application for me I will be surprised. Any business I start will not be big enough to warrent an official continuity plan.
Luckily, most of our instructors this week have unconsciously strayed from the topic, leading to more intersesting things. We watched a video about 9/11, and learned about some of the causes of things going terribly wrong (outside of terrorism).
In my imaginary buisness I think I will adopt shouting "CONSTANT VIGILANCE!" wherever I go to keep people on their toes. This should prevent holes from forming in our defenses.
After reading parts of the 9/11 commission report (for fun?!) I have decided to retire from reading frightening documents concerning 9/11, and will stick to what I need to do for the coursework.
This will include looking up good business practice and figuring out how affected businesses made it through that terrible time without losing too much money or face. Could be fun. I do not want to keep lamenting that I can find no practical application for stuff I'm learning here because I don't think it's true in the long run. For one thing, I never know what I'll end up doing, and learning for the sake of learning is one of my favorite past times.

Comments

John Glenn MBCI said…
"Any business I start will not be big enough to warrent an official continuity plan."
Oops. Even a very small business needs an "official" plan. Why? What happens if (a) a vendor fails, (b) competition springs something new on you, (c) your clients stop buying (any reason), (d) critical employees (you) can't work, (e) your financial backing dries up. That's just the tip of the proverbial iceberg and no mention of terrorism ! You might be amused by articles at http://JohnGlennMBCI.com - then again, yoou might not be (amused).
Jen said…
CONSTANT VIGILANCE!!
just helping :)

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs