York

I wasn't thrilled to learn that York is almost a three hour drive from Coventry. Also, heading north, historically has meant rain. But, when we arrived it wasn't raining. In fact, unbelievably, it was sunny. I almost forgot what that looks like. Seizing the good weather we went to climb the tower of York Minster, a huge church and major landmark in York.
The whole Minster took me about two hours longer than I expected to, but in the best way possible. We started by climbing the 275 spiraling steps of the tower which was really nice, and gave us great views of the city. From there we went all the way down to the crypts. Here you can see parts of the original foundation built by Romans, and also the foundation of the church build by the Normans in 1100. The current building was completed in 1472, which really wasn't recent, unless you compare it to Roman times.
We then went into the minster itself to enjoy the enormity of the place, and its intricate wood and stone carved decorations. The choir practicing didn't hurt either.
After this I split from my engineering major companions (as they wanted to go to a train museum) and headed into the town. It was absolutely packed with holiday shoppers. I did manage to make my way down Yorks oldest street, Shambles, which dates back to the Doomsday book (1085).
The whole area was so charming, and the colorful market, plus a Christmas Fayre, plus an array of local foods and samples, endeared the city to me further.
It is important to mention that although it was cold enough for a winter hat and gloves, it was miraculously still not raining. I had a good time enjoying the sights and smells. The Christmas Fayre (with a 'y') had rides and lots of local craftsmen and artists. There was a section of stalls selling local Yorkshire products, so I had samples of Christmas pudding, sausages, and fudge, awesome.
As the sun set, I used my last hour in the York Art museum which was also, great.
Be it the weather or the season, or whatever, I really enjoyed York and would happily return, despite the three hour drive.

Comments

Unknown said…
About 10 years ago when I was over there I got to spend a day in York on the way into Scotland. I thought it was an absolutely fascinating community. And you are right about the Minster; it is immense.

I'm glad you enjoyed your visit.
Anonymous said…
I can't believe you came to York and didn't tell me! I live about 5 minutes drive away, and would have come and met you/given you the tour if you'd wanted!

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs