Bits and Bobs

I’ve been washing my hair with 12p shampoo for a month now, and it hasn’t turned green or fallen out. Hurray for cheap stuff! I never thought I’d find such items here in the UK. I was under some illusion that there were no generic brands or something, but really some of those ASDA prices would make Americans go crazy.

One thing I have found (or not found) is solid deodorant. Now, hear me out. I know it’s random, but after noticing that I couldn’t find it, I realized I really couldn’t find it. I know I have a history of standing in stores staring blankly for unusual amounts of time, but the deodorant aisle doesn’t usually hold my attention. After careful evaluation (far more careful than someone of my age should take), I ended up with an aerosol can (which is the prevailing choice next to roll-on). And let me tell you there is nothing like: a. spraying freezing cold liquid onto your skin, b. having the first ingredients of deodorant be methane and butane, or c. inadvertently breathing in the “refreshing breeze” flavor.

A couple of weeks ago we went to the movies. (By the way, 2012 has great special effects, and virtually no plot; worth $1.99) When I bought my ticket the guy asked me where I wanted to sit. I shrugged and said “the middle?” Then he asked me if I wanted priority seating. Again I shrugged and said “I don’t think so.” having no idea what that meant. He dutifully typed something into his compy and we got our tickets with assigned seats. Assigned seats?! As it turns out the non priority seating is actually my preferred spot. The theatre was by no means full and as we all sat in our assigned places, it felt a bit strange. I can’t really find the point. I guess it makes camping out for good seats all the more superfluous when one can just by tickets online and guarantee themselves prime seating as well.
Before the movie we endured about half an hour of commercials, in fact more than I had seen in weeks of non TV watching. It was plenty. Then, of course, previews, and by the time they were finished I had completely forgotten why we were there in the first place.
The movie cost about the same as home, only being a student actually mattered. Also, no one was interested in watching the credits.

I did find it pretty much impossible to find a fresh turkey before Christmas here. Short of going to a proper butcher, of which there are surprisingly many. At home I would really have no idea where to find one, and here they’re on every corner (so to speak.)
One friend asked me if there were thanksgiving lights. The answer is sadly no, they’d probably never catch on anyway.

Other than that I found salt and pepper shakers in the shape of light bulbs, fell off my bike in front of people, and had a conversation with a woman who was very passionate about the pronunciation of “route.” (does it rhyme with cute or snout?)

Comments

Anonymous said…
Route rhymes with cute. Assigneds seats in the cinema is weird over here too, in fact I've only ever experienced it at the place I suspect you were

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs