15th October

I promise the pictures will be more interesting after this week!
But these things are interesting on a logistical basis. My student card, of course is great. Especially as it gets me into buildings and allows me to check out library books.
My Sainsbury's nectar card (which I haven't quite figured out yet) and my Tesco card. Woot, discounts at grocery stores.
More importantly is my British debit card. Not only does it feature the 2012 Olympics on the front, but it has a smart chip in it. This was popular in the US a few years ago, but didn't catch on like it did here. Nobody swipes a card here, they stick it in a machine! Oooh! Anyway, goodbye foreign transaction fees at amazon.co.uk!
Most importantly is my NHS (national health service) medical card. This entitles me to free socialized healthcare and £7 prescriptions (which is really quite cheap).

Comments

aendr said…
The Nectar card is supposed to work at a bunch of places, but the number has reduced over time. You can get points at some chain pubs, Sainsbury's and a few other places and spend them either through the website or at Sainsbury's (it used to be only the actually store you registered with but that may have changed) or a subset of the places you can collect them.

The prescriptions thing - some things are cheaper prescribed, others are more expensive, but usually your doctor or pharmacist will advise there. You don't have to worry about the different price of generic/brand name medicines when prescribed, just when bought over the counter.

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs