14th October

The fridge. Note, that I do not call it a "mini" fridge. This is standard UK size I think, or maybe even a little bigger. Courtesy of my good friend Jean, who is better to me than I deserve.
I have stocked up on some of the essentials. Tiny milks, salad cream, "lemonade," and crumpets (which are delicious by the way, nooks and crannies and all).
I also purchased some peanut butter, something that I think America has perfected. It is not quite the same as what I'm used to, but unlike American peanut butter, it only has three ingredients.

There are so many products to try in the grocery store. As a lover of foreign groceries in the first place, I love that I have as much time as I could ever want to wander carefully down the aisles, taking it all in. I have been especially amused by "American" products including a disgusting looking jar of hot dogs and potato skins with sour cream in a box with the stars and stripes on it.
It is true that you have to bag your own groceries here, which does add a certain pressure as most of the checkouts are pretty short. Also, the bags are just in a big stack, they don't even have the (for lack of a better term) "things that hold the bag open" at the checkouts.
Bringing your own bag is even more emphasized here as opposed to home. I'm not sure if people are better at remembering though.

Comments

Ichabod said…
No custard tarts for Lionel????
aendr said…
You get more Tesco points if you bring your own bags. Oh and watch out for the "cider" - cider over here is alcoholic, and sometimes very so (particularly if the word "scrumpy" is used), apple juice isn't.

(You may have noticed I'm on a commenting roll and working backwards. Haven't had a chance to visit your blog for a bit, sorry.)

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs