Strange weekend

Yesterday I went to the last day of the wilderness medicine seminar. We had a lecture about travelers diarrhea and it's treatment, strange dermatological issues, and how to pack an expedition first aid kit. I learned a lot from the doc who's been a medical missionary in Tanzania for the last four years who is simply fascinating.
We did a little map and compass work which frankly still mostly baffles me, and I again tried to make fire the old fashioned way. I was far more successful with the bow drill, but still didn't actually light anything on fire. It was hard work! I could make the drill hot to the touch and produce a lot of smoke, but always gave up too early before making a little ember.
Again with not forgetting some fire starting tool whenever one goes camping.

After that, smelling of woodsmoke, I went to my friends house for a little going away get-together. A few good friends came out to see me off before I left, and it was super nice. Shelly even decorated a cake with a little American flag that said "Cheerio Ellie!" well, basically brilliant!

I love that although we've gone in different directions, we can still get together and live just like old times. Thank you guys! I'll miss you, but I hope to see you sometime in the next year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs