It was then I realized I didn't have a spoon.

Today I had my official "induction" which makes it sound like I had to perform a ritual killing or something. Well it was pretty long and a little torturous, but not all that bad.
I got my class schedule which sounds pretty awesome, but I am sure I'm in for hard work. It starts mid October, which right off the bat is pretty great. I have one class at a time, and each takes about a month. I have a full week of class time then a few weeks to complete the class assignments. This makes me pretty nervous, as the entire grade is based on an essay or a report, and well, what if they don't like what I do? There is nothing to fall back on, not even my American charm and good looks.
The guy who gave us the orientation is the head of the department. He's Canadian, and a bit long winded, but seems like a nice and fair guy. The class has about 14 students in it, most of which I didn't officially meet today, but those I did seem cool. There is another Ellie in the class which absolutely kills me. As a Brit, she was surprised to learn that all the Ellies in America are over the age of 80, save one other than myself. It's a much more popular name here.

After this I went to the "fresher's fair" I went although I am technically not a "fresher" and got lots of free, yet pointless stuff (except for the free pizza.) I got the local football club schedule, some ramen noodles, lots of coupons, a non disposable bag from Ikea,and some pringles were the highlights.

When I went back to my room, I finally caught up with my oldest friend in Coventy. We have been facebook friends for months now and finally got to meet. He took me, very generously, to see his family here, to the LIDL (cheap grocery store!) a giant Tesco (regular grocery store) and to the ASDA (UK equivalent of Wal-Mart)
I have never been so fascinated by retail in my life! I felt like, well a foreigner! I was as usual, absolutely fascinated by products, aisles, people, prices, everything. I got some groceries, tea, and a proper UK issue kettle.
When we got back from retail heaven we visited some French friends of his, and I had an enjoyable time helping them to improve their English grammar, and pretending that I know more French than I really do (which is any).

Back in my room I tested out the new kettle, and having assembled all the necessary accessories made a cuppa. The water boiled in minutes, tea looked awesome, sugar and milk in and it was then I realized I didn't have a spoon.

Comments

Unknown said…
Holy crap! No spoon? That means no cuppa! That sucks!

When you have free time, post photos. Last time I was over there was in 2000. I miss it!
WVmedicgirl said…
Ellie,
Glad you made it and look forward to reading about your experiences!!
Anonymous said…
Spoons are for novice tea makers.

There are plenty of alternatives available to the more advanced tea brewer.

Leatherman? Trauma shears? Ruler? Pencil? Manning up and using your fingers?

Glad you're settling in OK

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs