In the System

After circling the city block several times, I finally decided on a parking garage in the hopes that where I was actually going would become more clear on foot. After a harrowing experience in the most labyrinthine parking deck I found a space and followed some shady looking signs that thankfully led me to the street. After a few minutes of wandering around and muttering quietly to myself, I saw a large sign pointing me in the right direction.
I entered the building and found the door of the immigration assistance services. On it was printed a list of things I wasn't allowed, but I actually had in my bag including cell phone and camera. I walked in anyway to the most sterile room I had seen. Even more sterile than the MVA, at least they have some plants! There were only a couple of non employees there and I went to what looked like the main desk.
The, um, receptionist was as warm and inviting as a snake that you're not sure is poisonous. She made sure I had the appropriate documents and sent me to the other side of the room to sit in one of the chairs in several rows. There were no tables, no magazines; just a big red number on the wall to tell who was next. Luckily, that was me. A guy beckoned me over to his station and had me sit down while he entered numbers into his computer.
My cell phone rang and I almost fell off of my chair in an attempt to mute it. I looked around nervously, ready to justify myself. "Uh, I make that noise sometimes. It's totally normal and not a cell phone at all. I'm practicing for sound effect school, Brrrrring!"
Happily, I didn't have to go into an insane tirade and the scary guy just gave me a quick glance while I smiled at him dumbly.
Without exchanging a word between us, he had me stand beside him while he wiped my fingers with water and carefully, almost obsessively, scanned my fingerprints into his fancy computer.
It only took a few minutes and then he took my picture.
"Is it serious?" I asked him.
"You can smile, but no teeth."
"Ok. Mug shot it is."
He took the picture and showed it to me.
"Ooh, that is serious, isn't it?" I asked.
Then, he actually laughed.
He stamped my paper and sent me on my way.

I practically skipped out of the office in relief and on my way back to the garage spotted a FedEx store on the street. I dropped everything into the envelope, licked it, clasped it, and covered it with tape. I took a deep breath and dropped it into the box, putting it out of my hands.
By some miracle, I found the car and exited 36 minutes after I had arrived. Of course, the price went up after the first half hour.
I spent the rest of the day at a pub drinking beers with a couple of friends and watching the Man U. vs. Aresnal game in HD. It was awesome.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dueling Blogs

Are those trauma shears in your pocket, or...

WAP, the reveal!