Belay

Yeah, I can belay. Last night I took the "belay test" when I went to the climbing gym with Charles. I had to show them that I know how to tie myself in as a climber and then that I know how to belay another climber. The belayer is the person on the ground who pulls the slack out of the rope and um, basically makes sure that the climber doesn't fall...far. So the last time I went climbing was about a month ago, and when the teenager who was testing me, handed me the "ATC" belay device (pictured above), I had to stare at it for about five minutes, trying to remember how the hell the thing works. I eventually figured it out, especially after he told me that there was a picture on the side of it that showed what to do. After that "a-ha" moment, it all came back and I passed the test. Now we can both climb and belay in the gym without breaking any rules. Oh, and ATC stands for air traffic control, isn't that funny?
So, now if you need to know something, I can belay the message.
I'll try to be good at it, so you won't belaying on the ground.
Oh Lord.

Comments

Unknown said…
When I was in the Marine Corps (back in the day, and I know you know how old I am :) both in recruit training and later on, rappelling (or abseiling, if you're inclined to the British term for it) was always an integral part of any field or combat training. We didn't have specific devices that we used on belay except for D-ring carabiners that we tied into the lines with. That and body weight. And the worst experience I ever had was when I was on Okinawa. My seat failed on a night rappel and I slammed into the face of the cliff I was descending.

Because of this accident I have a nice scar on my myocardium which shows up as ST elevation and a pathologic Q wave on lead III. Scares the crap out of any cardiologist that I've ever seen.... Thank God for stress echocardiograms - my LV is not damaged...
PFRussell said…
Dr. Walz would be proud of your puns!

I know how to belay too! We should go climbing some time with my cousin, she's really good and taught me how to do it.

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs