Inescapable reality

There was a medevac crash in Maryland last week. Four people were killed including the medic and the pilot. Miraculously, one patient survived and is expected to recover. This is the first medevac accident involving the state trooper system in Maryland since 1986.
I don’t really know what to say about it. Helicopters crash. It is the number one cause of EMS personnel death. But not here. I immediately, selfishly, thought it was some other service. I was wrong.
I have spoken to several of my old classmates about it. The trooper system holds a special place for us as we all rode with them for clinicals. We are left feeling vulnerable, shaken, scared. They were untouchable. We are left incredulous, full of questions. How could this happen anyway? All supplied explanations seem doubtful to me. It is a frightening reminder, and we inherently don’t like to be reminded of our own mortality.
My thoughts and prayers go to the victims and their families. I hope that their deaths will not become a political bargaining chip in the state and that they are remembered and honored for what they were. Those who were committed to serving their community, even at great personal risk.
It's not much, but it's all I can think to say.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs