A horse, of course?

In my first 24 of this week I had 6 cancellations (three MVAs, one shortness of breath, seizures, and a diabetic) 2 chest pains, 1 dead horse, and kind of caused an accident.

I wasn't feeling well at all that day. And it turned out that within about 44 hours I ate only a bagel and a cadbury cream egg. I'm not sure what it was, my tummy was saying "don't eat" and I trust my tummy implicitly. I'm only now (a day later,) feeling a little better. There have been no, what we can call "incidents" although it got close while I was starting an IV en route to the hospital on a curvy country road.

It was slow, until overnight when we had more than half of our calls. Obviously, the most interesting of which sadly involved the horse. What I can imagine happened was that an unsuspecting motorist was cruising along at 4am, probably at about 45-50 mph when he crested a hill and was suddenly was met with an unsuspecting equine who had wandered out of its pasture and had only recently discovered that there was nothing to eat in the middle of the road. Unfortunately, the two collided, the car struck the horse, ran into an embankment, and then rolled onto its side. The horse, having been struck the car, was parted from its leg, and sustained other injuries incompatible with life.
When we arrived, the BLS crew had already had the patient extricated and in the ambulance. We were there long enough to take in this most bizarre scene before BLS cancelled us. So at least the driver of the car wasn't injured too much.

Lastly, when our lights and sirens were announcing our presence at a red light, the kindly people coming the other way stopped on their green. Unfortunately, no one told the guy behind them who unsuccessfully avoided a rear end collision. Oops. Little damage, no injuries, and I felt guilty even though I wasn't driving.

So, now, 24 hours later, I find myself again, at work. What joy. But more on that later, maybe.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs