Nice doggie.

I was pedaling along, minding my own business of course. I was thinking about whatever it is I think about when I'm alone on the road. Suddenly, I heard shouting to my right and look over to see a dog running full on toward me. I'm not a dog expert by any means but I can say without trying to be dramatic that this dog was a pit bull. All conscious thought was gone and my instincts told my legs to pedal like crazy. The dog was next to me within seconds, pushing me into the oncoming lane. It was so close that I could have kicked it easily (not a good idea). I believe that it either would have run me off the road completely or run into the bike causing me to crash.
It was keeping up with me, which concerned my instincts so I just started yelling. I think I yelled "GET OUT!!!" and wondered to myself why I said that given that it made little sense. Either way, that, and an aggressive turn toward the dog made it stop. I continued to pedal, increasing the safe distance between the dog and myself. I stopped further on looking back to make sure I was safe. At this point I am sure I shouted more, and my rant was now peppered with more expletives about leashes and fences. My chest hurt and my pulse beat in my ears. I was in short, outraged.
I finished the rest of my ride without incident, but I couldn't help but think of all the things that could have gone wrong. If a car had been coming, if the dog had bitten me or the bike, if I had crashed. What if I had been a child, or an elderly person, or on foot?
All this bothered me. I could only hope that the owners had seen the whole incident and felt so foolish that they would have installed a fence that evening. I didn't know if the dog was being malicious or playful, and I don't really care, I was still scared. So, I called animal control who will check it out and make sure the owners are fully informed of the dog related laws of the county. I don't like to be a meddler but I can't cut this road out of my regular ride, and I don't want to be worried about some dumb dog every time I get in the area.

I have been searching for possible solutions to the dog chasing problem. The general consensus is not to run away, as it is likely that the dog can outrun a bike, especially on rough terrain or up a hill. (as in my case, I subconsciously knew that I would eventually run out of steam on the hill ahead).
Stopping and using the bike as a shield seems a likely option, but I felt I didn't exactly have time for that.
Installing my can of pepper spray somewhere within arms reach seems to be the best option. Since I already have the spray, I'll just have to find a way to secure it to the bike and still be able to grab it quickly. This will, in theory, kill (or blind) two birds with one stone as it will be ready for canine and human threats alike.

That, or I'll start carrying dog biscuits, or, on second thought, raw t-bone steaks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs