I hate being trite.

As trite and generally stupid I believe resolutions are, for some reason I feel compelled this year to write...something. Basically, resolutions set me and everyone else who makes them up for disappointment and failure, especially when they get reviewed next new years eve. I don’t want to find myself saying next year: “What?! I didn’t climb Mt. Everest?! I didn’t stamp out disease, didn’t write the great American novel, and didn’t contribute in a great and tangible way to the evolution of society?!” What the hell did I do?

This year was probably one of the highest and lowest of my life and I am mostly relieved to see it end. I can’t say that I have any regrets, but I made mistakes that I will not make again.
I will start this year as a great scrutinizer. A skeptic. I accept this fully, and I am fortunate to not have felt this way until now. I don’t believe it will stand in my way.

Caution: a trite, clichéd, hackneyed thought ahead. I need to prioritize my goals and set them in motion. I already feel that I have looked up and time has passed that I can’t account for. I don’t like to have that feeling when I have so much to do, learn and explore. There are many big, expensive, and lengthy ideas floating in my head. I should get them organized. More or less, the rest of this list is based on this.

quit my crappy job
get a better flashlight
restore passion in my life (not that kind! well…)
continue to make my own decisions and eliminate the influence of outside sources.
find exhilaration, as it is the best human emotion
do not dwell on crap of the past that cannot be changed.
find the kindness of strangers and do not rely on it
figure out why I take crap from people and stop the behavior immediately
find cold medicine that works
learn, learn, learn
find and exercise partner

Maybe this will happen, maybe it won’t. But I’ll work on it. That’s all I can do.

Comments

Anonymous said…
zicam is the greatest cold medicine ever!
PDXMedic said…
While many of my coworkers carry small high-intensity tactical
lithium-powered flashlights of some sort, I (and my partner) prefer the humble 3D Maglite.

Consider, for a moment, the spartan aesthetic of the device; the proud history (since 1979!); the simplicity (about six parts); and finally the ready ability to convert a harmless source of light into what once police officer of my acquaintance delicately termed a "beat-stick."

Yeah, and good luck with everything else, too. ;-)
Anonymous said…
Here's my list:

Run a marathon
Log 1000 or more miles running this year
Now that I'm in awesome shape, STAY THAT WAY
save money
eat well
HAVE FUN

Out of all of that I'm not sure which ones will get done and which ones won't, but as for now I'm going to try my best!

Stay safe!
Anonymous said…
Here are some resolution hints that will provide you a sense of accomplishment come December 31st. Try making resolutions you have already accomplished, such as...earn a college degree or be born. I also like easy resolutions, such as...eat ice cream every day of the week or use the toilet frequently

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs