Running Amuck

It was about 4am when we had returned from a call and I had just snuggled back into my sleeping bag, happy to be last up. Another medic came in and woke up his partner.
“We have to go,” he said. “Someone is smashing into peoples’ cars outside.”
Suddenly, I was awake, but awake as I was I couldn’t remember where I had parked my car. I hastily put my boots back on and followed the rest of my curious colleagues outside.

Most of the parking for work was on the street, and there were a few spots behind our building. By the time we were led outside I remembered that I was parked on the street and vulnerable to this mysterious car smashing. Luckily, we headed in the opposite direction of my car, to where two cars were parallel parked on the street. It appeared that someone (in their vehicle) had rear ended the car parked on the end. That car was pushed into the one in front of it. The first car was pretty much destroyed. The frame was bent, the front and rear bumpers...well, the rear bumper was totally off, and the front one was wedged underneath the car in front. They both belonged to employees, one to our supervisor.
In a matter of minutes, despite the odd hour, everyone was awake and standing outside speculating about the incident. The owners of said cars were absolutely stunned to say the least. It was soon suggested that a drunk driver was out there running amuck in the streets and it was only a matter of time until their antics caught up to them.

Literally minutes later, the tones went off for a car accident mere blocks from the station. I had never seen an ambulance tear out of the station more quickly. It was my supervisors call and you could tell he couldn’t wait to see the perp. Cooler heads prevailed and another truck went to relieve them of the call.
It was indeed the driver who had smashed up the cars. He had made a few more hits going down the street before his car became incapacitated. He was also predictably very drunk. He was taken to the hospital, I’m sure very securely, on a backboard, and my friends car was towed away in the morning.

Comments

Jen said…
Funny to click on your blog and still see this post. One of the guys whose vehicle was smashed is headed to court today. He was griping about how he could possibly be a "witness" to something that happened while he was inside sleeping!

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs