A comedy (?) of errors

Ah, the move. I picked up Ewing after work and the next morning we went to Maine. We stopped at Old Orchard beach and then went to LL Bean. Amazingly, we didn’t buy anything unexpected. We also got some good clam chowdah in Freeport. We drove back home and went out to dinner with my roommates.
The next morning we went to pick up the moving truck and when we went to leave, it wouldn’t start. The guy realized that he had left the lights on the night before and the battery was dead. He charged it for a few minutes and we were on our way. The truck wasn’t that bad; a/c that worked, and an am/fm radio. It was basically an ambulance, so I didn’t mind driving it at all.

We packed it in a few hours with a lot of room to spare. We had Pisgah on the top of my truck and Kopapa in the moving truck. We left a little late in the day and headed into town so I could retrieve my pots from pottery class. We got to class and I found my teacher who told me that after last weeks class the kiln broke. They had just ordered a new one and she decided to mail me my pots when they were finished. I was a little nervous about this (and I still am, as I haven’t gotten them yet.)
So we left and got on the highway just in time to hit all the Boston traffic. We had finally gotten away from all that and stopped at a rest area. We got a snack and went to leave, but the moving truck wouldn’t start. We tried to jump it with my truck, but the battery was d.e.d. dead. I called the rental place and they referred me to a mechanic. The mechanic called me and said he was coming from Boston and would be more than an hour. Needless to say I was a little mad, but what could we do other than hope that they could fix it while we took a nap. When he arrived, the mechanic checked it out and replaced the battery right away. There was much rejoicing.
We were off again and a few hundred miles passed uneventfully. We had planned on stopping at a camp store in New Jersey, but we had lost so much time, it was closed by the time we got there. Our next stop was to White Castle for some mini burgers. I had never been to one and we desperately needed dinner. As we followed our google map toward the white castle, we should have taken into account that we were in Jersey and navigating there is ridiculous and should be reserved for people who understand things that don’t make any sense. After a bit of wandering and trying to turn around, Ewing asked for directions. He asked for directions to a White Castle at a Burger King. Even in my tired hunger I enjoyed the irony of this.

We finally found it, and ate way too many mini burgers and onion rings which were delicious. An hour later we were three hours from home and it was 0130. We decided to stop and spend the night. This decision caused me to miss the second testing for a job. But, in the essence of safety, stopping was the wise thing to do.

We set off again the next day. After many right turns (certainly no left turns in jersey), we had our gas pumped for us (certainly no self serve in jersey), got breakfast and got back on the highway.

Maryland welcoming us was a welcome sight. Safe and sound, we had plenty of time to unpack the truck and take a nap.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Is this your final entry?? What is going on in your life?

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs