Robot Detail

Yesterday I spent about 12 hours watching robots hang innertubes off of poles. Yes, it is exciting as it sounds. There is a high school robot building contest in town, and I worked the detail to do EMS for the event. At first, I thought the robots were going to fight each other, then I sadly discovered that they were built to do tasks with each other instead. Tasks like picking up innertubes and hanging them up. It was interesting to watch for about 5 rounds of crazy robot action, but it went on for about 30 rounds! By the end of it I was dead bored. But at least I was there with good people and we tried to make the best of it.
Mostly we passed time by making fun. You could have cut the nerdness in the room with a knife. If I had shouted "hey, nerd!" the entire room would have turned and looked at me. But, they did come up with some clever designs and they were all really into it.
We had one real call for an asthma attack. We gave her a neb, she felt better, didn't want to go. I wasn't convinced that she was better, but her advisor had medical authority didn't make her go, and we even called her father, who also didn't make her go. I ran into her a couple times throughout the day and felt better about her refusal.
Other than that we gave out bandaids, and lamented that we didn't carry actually useful supplies like, antibiotic ointment and tweezers for splinters.
What was most disappointing, though, was the fact that none of the robots went on a rampage of any sort and absolutely none of the robots were equipped with rockets, flame throwers, or baseball bats. None of them attempted to chase their inventors and none of them set their phasers from stun to kill. Oh well.

We did get out about an hour early which was great, and still left me with 12 hours of overtime this week, yay! I'm back to my regular weekend shift today and it has been exciting as usual. I can't even write that with a straight face!

If anyone from Maryland reads this and needs a full time paramedic with benefits, let me know!

Comments

Anonymous said…
We'll always need you, but I guess that doesn't count!
Anonymous said…
hey ellie, pretty much everyone needs medics down here. PG, Montgomery, Howard counties are all putting out exams, Charles County is hiring starting pay is $43000 and no asshole FF's to deal with (all chase car baby!) Rumor has it Carroll county is also gonna take over their ALS in July, so there might be job openings there.
-Sean

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs