Night and Day

After all the excitement of my day shift, I was all hyped up for my night shift. But it turned out that they were, well, like night and day. We only had 3 calls in 14 hours!

Also, my weekend shifts were pretty boring as well. I got very far into my book, watched more football than I have in my entire life, and did my favorite work pastime, got paid to sleep.

This was also the weekend of the fair here. I did EMS standby for a while Thursday and Friday. I must admit, this fair is pretty cool. I watched a woodsman contest on Thursday. Here, people rolled large logs, threw axes, sawed blocks of wood, and my personal favorite, used an ax to chop a piece of wood that they were standing on. It was pretty cool, and nobody chopped their leg off by accident.
I also enjoyed fried dough, apple crisp, hot cider, and a sample of maple syrup cotton candy. That’s right, maple syrup, poured into a cotton candy machine, and made into delicious clouds of diabetic ketoacidosis. It tasted awesome, but I’m pretty sure that if I, or anyone else for that matter, ate a whole bag of it they would die, but what a way to go.

While we exited the maple syrup house we got our fair quote of the day from a kid ready to enjoy what the fair had to offer: “Yes! I love sugar!”

On Friday I went to the fair in the evening, and took in some horse jumping, local arts and crafts, and some local color. Second fair quote of the day:

Dad: (angrily) "You’re goin’ to see the animals!!"
Kid: (sadly, and possibly crying) "Okay..."

Friday night we almost had a search and rescue operation in our one stop light town. We were called to stage at the station, and soon went to the house where an 90+ year old had apparently wandered from their house. It was 46 degrees out, breezy, the terrain around the house was a swampy lake, and next to it, a steep gully. The search would have been horrid, but probably short.

But it turned out that the spouse of ‘lost person’ who had woken up to discover that they were gone, actually forgot that the patient was taken to the hospital the day before. Whew! We could all go back to bed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Theatres, trains, and museums, oh, my!