Hometown Madness

Last week after a day at work, I got up early and flew home, amazingly cheaper and much faster than driving. It only took me about an hour of flying time to get to the Baltimore area. From there, the parents found me and we went directly to the fair in my hometown. We are crazy about the fair in my family. Relatives come from even farther away than NH to enjoy it. There’s something about it that entices us back; the food, the entertainment, the nostalgia.
Because the fair has such a draw, I saw a great many of my family members, almost as many as Christmas time brings.
The fair is never complete without corn dogs, laughing hysterically during a wild ride on the tilt-a-whirl, getting heckled by carnies, running into about 50 people you know, petting some cows, posing with a tractor, and doing some serious people watching.

We also got to enjoy the annual demolition derby. Hilarious and awesome as usual and hopefully next year my cousin will get a few more hits in before his car dies.

I got back and went to work that night. I was uber tired, and luckily nothing overly taxing happened. We had a back pain, a nose bleed, a chest pain, and something else I can’t remember now. The chest pain was kind of annoying.
Me: "Is you chest pain sharp or more dull?"
Patient: "Um, it’s really, um, it’s just this pain..."
Me: "Uh...Does it change when you breath in or move around?"
Patient: "I'm, uh, I'm not sure, just a pain..."
My brain: "I'm going to freak out now."

Pretty much every exchange with this patient went like this, earning her the title of ‘poor historian.’ Basically we just worked it up and went to the hospital.
So far today we’ve done 4 BLS transfers, that’s about as entertaining as it gets!

I’ve learned that it’s really weird to go on vacation to your hometown. Coming home from college, I was living out of a suitcase in my own room. Coming home from, um, what can also be described as home, I was living out of a suitcase in a room that somehow resembled my room. But I didn’t feel sad, it was just bizarre. I was happy to realize that I could still navigate around town, and felt entitled to complain about the changes that have occurred in my absence.
Is it everyone who is unwittingly and forever tied to their hometowns?

Comments

Slack said…
I haven't "lived" in my hometown for over 15 years, and I am still ridiculously connected to it when I am there. I think it is everyone. Even people that can't wait to get out of their hometown seem to keep some connection to it.

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs