Serving Since...

I got my last piece of flair the other day, my nametag and a little bar that goes with it that says “Serving Since 2006.” This makes me laugh; it should just say “Serving Since Last Week.” I think this would instill more confidence in my patients. Or, maybe “Serving Since…you don’t wanna know.”

Yesterday was my first shift on a 911 truck. A lot of firsts lately, and I’m sure that they’ll keep coming. EMS itself is inherently full of firsts. Even veterans say “I though I’d seen it all, until today.” But I guess for me in particular, everyday includes things I’ve never seen, and nearly everything has been new experience in some way. But I digress.

We had three calls, all pretty simple and straightforward, perfect for a first day. A fender bender started the day, and I was excited, because I actually knew how to get to the call! Later we had a ‘hemorrhage’. I’m never happy when the home care nurse greets us and says “I just left him on the toilet…I wasn’t sure what you guys would have wanted…” Thanks! If I could make a list of ideal positions for patients to be in, on the toilet would definitely be at the top. Above even, unconscious behind a door on the 10th floor of an apartment building with no elevators.
Our last call was for a kid who drove his bike into a parked car. What made this call fun was the fact that we had a student with us. It just so happened that she arrived just as we got the call, and hopped on. It was fine, it was her first day of riding for her EMT-B class, and she didn’t freak out or anything. Just a little ironic to have me teaching new people!

The absolute highlight of the day was getting to drive on the wrong side of the road. I couldn’t help shouting “We’re in London!”

Google search term of the week: “flash + happy dance” It still holds true that every time I get a flash for my IV I want to say “Time out!” *ellie performs break dance routine* “Time in!” and resume the call as normal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs