But, I am Le Tired.

I would like to provide you with a quick(ish) review of the rest of my vacation. I’m assuming, of course, that you care. Either way, here goes.

Let’s see…I left off with some old stones. We took our free day in London to go to the National Gallery, fantastic, again. We also stopped at the Natural History Museum. This is a beautiful museum. One of our tour guides said that if she were queen she would live at this museum (keeping most of the stuffed animals) and wear the crown jewels at all times, all of them, even in the bath…especially in the bath.
The next day we drove to Canterbury and enjoyed their beautiful cathedral and charming town. We took a ferry over to France, then drove 4 hours to Paris. It was about now that I realized I don’t speak any French and it had been a long time since I’d been in a truly foreign country.
Our first day we had a bus tour of Paris. We got our first proper view of the Eiffel Tower which bigger than I imagined, but I’ll get to that later. We stopped at Notre Dame for about 10 minutes. A laughable amount of time; we didn’t even get to meet Quasimodo! Then we hung out in the opera district for a while (nice if you love shopping).
Paris day two was the best on of the whole trip for me. We started by driving out to Giverny, Monet’s house for the last 30 years of his life. This is where the lily pond is that inspired many of his paintings. Absolutely fabulous gardens. I could have stayed for days enjoying nature. We returned to the city and went to the Latin Quarter (named for the scholarly people who used to speak Latin here). We had lunch in front on Notre Dame, and then re-visited it. I bought some prints on the street, and we visited the Pantheon. Here, Voltaire, Victor Hugo, and the Curies are buried. After dinner we went to the Eiffel Tower. There are three levels to the tower. Getting up to the second one was not too traumatic for me. My parents and I ‘climatized’ for a few minutes before committing ourselves to going to the top. I classify that elevator ride as one of the most terrifying experiences of my life. A two minute ride to the top that seems to go on forever, and it’s hard to distract yourself in an elevator that is glass on all sides. Once we got up there, I was okay, and it was totally worth it. Fantastic views of the city abound, and we got there just in time to catch the sunset.
Upon our return to the hotel that night, we were officially le tired.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs