Home again, home again.

Well, almost. I'm here at school, a logical rest stop between Newark and home. We arrived yesterday around 7:00 here time (midnight our time).
Getting back was a trial at times. It started out with our airline weighing our carry-on bags and saying that they couldn't be more than 6kg. We were kind of freaked out about this; I knew mine was way more than that. I was carrying a grocery bag with orange kit-kats in it (yes, for you) so I decided to throw stuff from my bookbag into that bag. Working the system, I guess, but they didn't care. This was so ridiculous because you could have bought a million kilos worth of stuff at the duty free shop. I guess that my extra few kg didn't affect the plane too much. Maybe they should weigh each passenger as well. Or, put a huge scale on the runway to measure before planes take off. Then they can stop the plane and announce that they can't go until they jettison some cargo, guilting you into throwing your duty-free vodka, souvenir shot glasses, or small child overboard.
Then, when we got here I was grilled at customs/immigration. The dude was treating me like a criminal (and the bright light in my face didn't help much). "We're you on payroll? Who were you with? What is his relation to you?! What university? We're you paid?" Dude, simmer down. I'm sure an internship with an ambulance service sounds really suspicious, but really! At least I didn't get stopped and interrogated about whether or not I was carrying dairy products. "Yes, here is the cheese I brought over! I confess!" The last time I came back from the UK it seemed that having a carton of milk was as punishable as having a suitcase full of blow.
Well, it's fantastic to be back. It's nice to take a shower in an area that is larger than a shoebox. Soon, I'm going to collect my things and head home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs