Back into focus

Nothing cures the soul better than kayaking down a scenic river with one of your best friends. For me, at least. This weekend I went home briefly, went kayaking twice, visited my niece and nephews, and ate pizza…it was nice.

I love to kayak, and found a new place to go near my house. It’s my first river (about class ½) and it has taught me a bit about the logistics of parking one car at the end, and one car at the beginning, instead of carrying the kayaks back to the first car.
Or, you can drive both cars to the end then leave one, drive to the beginning, drop the kayaks off, drive back while someone watches the kayaks, get a sandwich, stop at the first car, change shoes, drive half way back, do a dance, drive the rest of the way, eat a sandwich, drive back to find a trash can, then drive to the kayaks, throw on a PFD, and get in the water. By then the sun is almost down. When you’re done you realize you can only put one kayak in the car at the end, so, you drive one kayak back to the second car, drive back, play some ping-pong, get the other kayak, drive halfway back, realize you left your friend at the other end, drive back, pick them up, then pack the kayaks in the first car that both of them will fit in (or was it the second car?) no matter, drive them home, hose them down, and go to bed. Just an example of the complexity of kayaking on a river.

We had to hike in a little to find a good launch spot. We must have looked quite comical walking though the woods carrying two kayaks. At one point we had to carry them over a downed tree. As I jumped over it, this huge thorn impaled right into my knee cap. My kit with tweezers (although we could have used grilling tongs, it was so big) was in the car of course, so I had to pull it out with my teeth (not really, but this story must get more fantastic with every telling). I’m fairly certain that I’m going to live, although it was all red and angry yesterday.

I love to be on the water; the quiet, the wildlife, the bond formed between you and a piece of plastic. (mine is named Kopapa) I’m glad I got to go since the next three weeks, and possibly the next six weeks are going to be pretty crazy.
Kayaking helps me to go forth and prosper.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I vaguely recall kayaking.....I used to do it alll the time.....before I started MEDIC SCHOOL! I do the sea kayak varient thought. slightly different. Yesterday was my last ER rotation. tonight a pharmacology final, and tomorrow work....I go right into summer semester though, no break. good luck!
Anonymous said…
Hi Ellie,

Thanks for filling in my questionnaire and the comments.

I found you on someone else's blogroll. Perhaps you should Google your blog some time and find out who has been looking at yours.

Thanks again.

James

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs