The Rest of the Week

Thankfully, the rest of the first week of camp went by with just the usual maladies and complaints to be expected of kids on their first extended sojurn away from their parents. Most of them dislike it when I am completely unimpressed by their injury or complaint. They expect quite a lot of reaction that I expect they are used to receiving at home. Sadly for them, I don't particularly care that they have scraped themselves, have found a minute cut on their pinky fingers, or have a tiny headache. Well, I do care, but I am not going to fawn all over them. Camp is character building and although some are legitimately hurt or sick, most of the time, I'll put a band-aid over something and send them on their way.
I do love the kids that I can joke around with, I become incredibly sarcastic and when they can tell I'm joking, it is a lot of fun. One kid came to me with a microscopic cut on his thumb.
"Oh, my, look at that! What happened?!"
"I don't really know, I just noticed it."
I carefully inspected it.
"Well, it doesn't look too bad. Do you think you'll make it?"
"I, uh, yeah, I think so." He grinned, "But there is this bump I noticed."
"Hmm," I thoughfully palpated it. "Yes, that could be a problem. But I do think it's your bone. Would you like me to remove it? We can if you want. If it's bothering you too much."
He pulled his hand away, inspecting it himself, laughed and replied, "No, I think I'll keep it."
"Well, okay, but you let me know if you change your mind. We'll get that bone right out of there."
Oh yes, and that was in front of his mom. He ran off and she and I shared an eye roll. I love people with a sense of humor. Exhanges like that are what I love about being camp or when I look at their cut and shout "Call the national guard! Set up a landing zone for their helicopter!" and the kids just laugh.
I think I'm sick.

Comments

Mom said…
....Sarcastic??? You got that from your father!

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs