Informative Tattoos

I will admit it. I watched American Idol this year. That's unusual for two reasons. Firstly, I've never watched a whole season before. It's usually boring after everyone isn't being made fun of anymore. Secondly, I had to go to a special effort to see it in this country. But that is far beside my point.
I was checking up on my favorite, Mamasox, (quit doing that supid contractually obligated tour and cut an album!) and stumbled upon a picture of her new tattoo. No, this blog will not turn into Ugliest Tattoos (always gives me a laugh! and makes me reevaluate my assesment of mankind).
But her tattoo is on the inside of her wrist and, very stylishly informs me that she is a type 1 diabetic. And, by stylishly, I mean with a bit of a flourish, a caduceus with a hypodermic, and even a star of life! I am the target audience for this tat.
I'm torn between loving this and hating it. It is rather informative and would help cut to the chase in an unconscious person. But, what self respecting paramedic wouldn't do a glucose on an unconscious person? (okay, okay, I'm sure it's happened). It's actually much cooler than medical alert bands, and far more useful than the completely pointless (yet cool) won't-hold-up-in-court 'Do Not Resuscitate' tattoo. And, it's quite likely that I would notice it. Now, if only we could get everyone to tattoo their medical histories on themselves. My favorite converstaion is:
"Do you have any medical problems?"
"Nope" (they answer confidently)
"This bag of medication would make me believe otherwise."
"Oh, that. Well, I do have high blood pressure. And I am diabetic, and I have 'heart problems' but I certainly can't be more specific. And I sometimes have seizures, come to think of it. Oh, and I had a very mild heart attack, but that was, like, six months ago. Does that count?"
"That's the most non medical history I've ever heard. Let's just check your medical history tattoo here to clear this up!"
So, just a little EMS today.
Oh, and I won't tell Mamasox that her tattoo is upside-down.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs