Natural Hazards

Well, they saved the best class for last.
We finished up our last classes learning about natual and environmental hazards and laughing off the sheer terror that climate change fills us with. The lectures were interesting, engaging, and I learned stuff that I will remember for more than five minutes, which is more than I can say for a few of the other classes.
We took a field trip to Ironbridge to learn about um, kind of how that whole town has the potential to slide into the river. To prevent that, we saw their multi million pound anti erosion project. They also have multiple seasonal flooding problems which were interesting to learn about and on top of these problems Ironbridge is a world heritage site and relies totally on tourism for its income, and is home to the worlds first iron bridge (as mentioned at Christmas). They have good reason to prevent the town from sliding into the river. It was a very worthwhile outing and I was happy to see Ironbridge in the spring when it was green and lush and not freezing cold.
The whole class made the last one look even more pointless, and as I look back, it didn't even bear mentioning on the blog. It was an utter disappontment (as voiced to our program director). And it was about health! It should have been awesome, but instead the teacher seemed to have no motivation to talk about what we thought he should and took us on a pointless outing to London so he could visit some old friends. (It seemed.) Oh, I did buy an antique first aid kit while wasting time that day, so not a complete loss!
So, clases are over. I have an assignment to write, and then on to thesis research. The thesis which I still continually vascillate about. Do I have the right topic? Is it good enough? Who will my interviewees be? Do I have enough time? All will be answered soon when I get my supervisor who will hopefully fully endorse my topic, read my proposal and begin writing A++++ all around their office. A girl can dream.

Comments

Mom said…
Keep dreaming - it's taken you this far. . . .

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs