Salisbury

I remember five years ago, with giddy anticipation I walked toward the mysterious Stonehenge. That feeling was not gone yesterday as I made that journey again. It is trite, yes, but a fascinating place. I am forever amazed that they were not just set there, but it was quite a calculated place (it can be used as a calendar) and the stones were carved to form a circular shape, and they actually all fit together with joints, which is just boggling. After watching this guys video, it is with renewed interest that I pondered the raising of Stonehenge.
I am hoping that they come up with some kind of solution to ease the traffic in the area, the highway noise detracts some from the bronze age mindset. Although I agree that putting a tunnel directly under it is a bad idea.
After we had had our fill, and it conveniently started raining, we headed to the nearby town of Salisbury.

The whole town was moved to its current location back in the day (the 13th Century) for its water supply and overall good looks. Here they constructed the 'new' cathedral which is quite a beautiful place.
The cathedral, built between 1220 and 1258, is enormous, with much history and beauty. The most heartbreaking history when some guy in charge thought it would be a good idea to paint over medieval paintings on the ceiling, tear down a bell tower, and sell all of the stained glass. I dont know, but I think he was tarred and feathered before the end. A small section of the original glass exists, but most of the rest is clear, which actually makes for a very bright interior.
The cathedral also boasts the tallest spire in the UK at 404 feet (built in the early 13oo's). Its a bit scary as the original foundation of the cathedral wasn't exactly built to hold such a structure. Bends in the enormous interior columns formed over time, and they must constantly test to make sure there is enough moisture in the ground underneath to hold the structure. (Literally there is a hole in the nave that they sink a stick into to check the water level) In high winds they evacuate the area as the tower is so 'fragile' merely one layer of stone around medieval wooden scaffolding. Suddenly I wasn't as disappointed at missing the tour of the tower.
The cathedral also houses Eurpoe's oldest working clock, and one of only four known original copies of the Magna Carta, now there's an old, unreadable, and landmark piece of paper.
My day ended with more wandering (perhaps my new favorite pastime), seeking Wiltshire food, and exploring the remains of their Saturday market. I had an amusing encounter (from a distance) with a drunk guy. He was challenging everything in the area with: "D'you wanna 'av a go?!" everything, that is, except people. He was knocking down displays and stacks of shopping baskets at the Sainsburys who I assume, had wisely refused to sell him alcohol. As he stormed away I heard his friend say "...he only wanted a drink." Yeah, because he clearly hasn't had enough. I felt like I was at work, it was great. I also enjoyed the general 'tutting' and scandalised 'Wells!' coming from fellow bystanders.

Comments

potenta said…
wow...how i'd like to go there some day!!
:)

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs