Playing the tourist

Lesser known than the Shakespeare sites, Stratford is home to the UKs largest tropical butterfly farm, which as it turns out is an excellent place to visit. Even if you have a passing interest in butterflies, it is easy to be won over by seeing hundreds of them flying around a beautiful (and warm) setting. They also have Chinese quail, some other tropical birds I can’t identify, a room of rare (caged) insects from around the world, and the completely unmentionable room of (also caged) giant spiders. After spending about two hours there, we still had time to waste in beautiful Stratford, before our trip took us to Warwick.

Famous mostly for its huge, restored, and very intact castle, Warwick is a relatively small town outside of Coventry. I wasn’t planning on going to the castle, as it is very expensive (£18 for an adult) but I was overcome by the allure of a reduced student group ticket. I’m glad I went, it is a very beautiful place, and in winter, not full of tourists. Many of the estate rooms are restored to various periods, from medieval to Victorian. We walked around the original part of the castle dating to the Normans as well. Climbing the towers, although tedious, gave us great views of Warwick and the Avon river which runs past the castle. I have never in my life climbed as many spiraling staircases as I have in the last month. The whole thing didn't take nearly as long as I had expected it to, and everyone was back to the bus early.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs