Survival and such


Mostly these past couple of weeks I have been going to work and packing things up. I'll be storing my stuff in the same building where I live now, and it turns out that moving sucks, even if it's into the next room. Work has been good but not terribly interesting in terms of blogging.

But, this weekend I am going to a wilderness medicine and survival conference. So far it's pretty sweet. I almost made fire the old fashioned way, and by "almost" I mean not at all. But it was fun to try, and now my hands hurt. Our instructor said that the bottom line is "don't forget your lighter." Haha. We learned some other stuff about mental survival, building shelters, and responding to urban survival situations.
In the evening today we had two lectures about wilderness medicine and medical missions. Now I am filled with oh so interesting thoughts about all that stuff. It's pretty facinating how they have brought some western medicine to different places and, well it is unsurprising that it certainly sparked my interest.

Tomorrow I unfortunately have to go to work, but I will make it to sundays lectures to learn more about search and rescue, water purification and dealing with emergencies with travel groups. Sweet.

This day cannot pass without mention of 9/11. A day I will not forget. As we discussed today how to deal with urban survival situations, I could not help but wander back these eight years and put myself in the places of the survivors of 9/11. There is nothing I can say here that hasn't already been said, but please take a moment from your day to remember those we lost.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs