Feet don't fail me now

Oh, day five! On the last day we went from Drumnadrochit to Inverness, at least 20 miles. In my notepad I wrote two things: 9:01 when we hit the trail, and 6:50 when we reached the GGW sign declaring the end.
The trail started out on our new favorite roadway, the A82, which we had seen quite a lot of, and narrowed to a single track trail in the woods which was beautiful, but all uphill. Eh, it sucked. The trail opened up to a double track logging road leading us to the highest point in the trail. I was already totally busted at this point. We walked a while longer and had lunch at a mountain bike park which was actually pretty cool. There were people there with their kids playing on the playground. It almost felt like we were near civilization.
We continued on a long rural road through sheep fields and moores. We were on this road for probably two hours and didn't see a single car. The trail then went back into the woods where we took a snack break and I think I nearly died. Well, I felt pretty bad all around. I ate a pack of starbursts which fortified (I use the term lightly) me for the remaining, maybe five miles. I was going at a literal snail's pace and shuffled to the end. Oh, it was bad. We reached the outskirts of Inverness which just teased us, as we still had pretty far to go. I was surprisingly energized when I saw the sign at Inverness Castle telling us it was over. We celebrated for about five seconds before attempting to find the B&B.
We seriously vegged for a while and then Louisa inspired us to go to dinner. It was a great idea, just difficult to carry out, as we had to go down some stairs to get to any restaurants. I am sure we looked crazy as we carefully lowered ourselves down each stair, clinging to the handrail. We definitely needed a sign explaining that we had walked 20 miles to justify our silly gait. We did have a delicious dinner of Spanish tapas and sangria.
The next morning we caught a train back to Edinburgh and from there had a leisurely lunch before Andy and Louisa had to catch their flight. In the afternoon, Jenn and I went to the Museum of Scotland for a while before our legs gave out completely. We bought dinner at the Tesco and stocked up on food like souvenirs. (160 bags of PG Tips, sweet!)
I had a great flight home, but there was a delay in getting our bags down to us. I didn't get my bag in hand until 3:45, and my connection was at 4:10. Needless to say I was freaking out and ran through customs, rechecked the bag, busted through security, hastily tied my shoes back on, and ran quite a distance to the gate. I made it with eight minutes to spare.
I am now nearly fully recovered, I still have some pain in my ankle that is getting better. Hiking the Great Glen Way was fun, beautiful, tiring, and painful. It would have been fun on a bike, and a lot faster. I wouldn't trade the experience, but I probably won't repeat it.

GGW official site.

Demand the A82 upgrade.

Support GGW improvement projects.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Here's hoping your next vacation is a bit more relaxing!!!!
Jen said…
Glad to hear you had fun and made it home safely!

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs