Why I don’t watch Scary Movies

When I tell people that I don’t watch horror movies, I most often get looks like I am a freak of nature. Who doesn’t watch horror movies?!

Firstly, I am single and my only protection at home is a cat and a dead bolt lock. Every random noise I hear at home is blamed on the cat, even if she is asleep on my lap.

Also, I take scary movies way to seriously. The Blair Witch Project for example. Everyone said ‘That movie was so dumb!’ while I was the one sitting up all night with my back to the wall, my room lit up like a landing strip and a shotgun across my lap. Even if the movie is completely ridiculous, unlikely, and stupidly funny, I’ll laugh my way through it, and still be nervous when I go to bed.

Why don’t I want to watch Hostel? Because I like hostels.
“The Texas Chainsaw Massacre?” The answer is in the question.
“The Hills Have Eyes?” No they don’t.
“The Ring?” I don’t want to be anymore afraid of a ring than I already am.
“The Grudge?” It’s scary enough to have one, I don’t need to see it on film.

Lastly, I don’t want to watch horror movies for the same reason I don’t watch the news. I have seen horrific things in real life. I have met unsavory characters, been down dark alleys, dealt with crazy people. I’ve seen things I’d rather forget. I have plenty of real things to be afraid of, I don't need any more.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I know exactly what you mean, real life can be just as scary, except the lack of music and dodgy camera angles helps things a lot.
PFRussell said…
My dear Ellie, welcome to my world!

Hope sounds like life's treating you well, especially your new PT gig. I'm glad!

Keep in touch,

Pat

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs