So, a lot happened

We arrived to a diabetic call and the fire department had taken a blood sugar and read 80 (not horribly low). The patient though had an altered mental status, could barely speak, and certainly couldn't walk. I would have guessed that her sugar was more like 30 or 40 and I was growing a little concerned about her. She was with it enough to eat a candy bar and her well meaning boyfriend was giving her juice. He refilled it and I looked at the bottle. It was sugar free juice. We all had a good laugh about it, and the patient was feeling and looking much better. We took her sugar again and it was 71. Hmm. I was then certain that the glucometer was not working right the first time. Now that she was more coherent, the patient definitely refused transport and promised that she'd eat breakfast.

We had an interesting back pain that was causing a seemingly tough guy to be literally doubled over in pan. I can only guess that he threw his back out or something like that. It was one of the few times that I've bothered to give narcs (morphine) before we moved him at all. After 10 of morphine, he was feeling much better and able to almost sit up. I actually said on the med radio that his pain was now an 8 out of 10 instead of earlier when it was about a million out of 10.

Also, an asthma attack, hip pain for two days, anxiety, a cold, and at least one drunk person...maybe two. I worked another 24 today so that I could go home for a couple days. The most interesting call deserves its own post, but it may take me a few days. A few thoughts to tie you over "this is why I don't watch horror movies" and "crime scene preservation." More to follow.

Comments

Rookie Bebe said…
I just found your blog. Keep writing! I like it and added it to the list of blogs I read every day.

I'm a new EMT and should be starting medic class in a few months.

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs