Oh, winter!

Just as I closed the lid on my box of gloves, hats, and boots and folded my winter coats into a duffle bag, the temperature dipped and the skies opened to illustrate that spring is not exactly here. I’m now looking out on a snowy winter scene right outside my window. I’m trying to convince myself that it’s April and Easter is in just a few days although it feels more like Christmas. It’s supposed to stay coldish for the rest of the week. On Thursday morning it took me half an hour to clean the 5 inches of snow off my car as I shook my fist at the sky.

Earlier this week, I was called in for a 24 which I happily accepted as OT is always welcome. We started the evening for a call for a medication reaction. Real potential to be cool. We arrived to find a 30ish year old looking fine, and in no distress.
me: “Hello, what’s going on?”
patient: “I think I’m having a reaction to medicine I took.”
me: “Okay, what did you take?”
patient: “Benadryl.”
me: “Benadryl?”
patient: “Yeah, I took some an hour ago and now my stomach hurts.”
me: “Um…okay.”

Needless to say we took an uneventful ride to the hospital.

Later we had a call for an infant with trouble breathing. We arrived to find a 7 month old baby in her mothers arms. All of my concerns melted away when I said ‘hello’ to the baby and she gave me a big, happy smile. The mother said that she had had 3 episodes of gasping for breath, so I suggested that she go to the hospital. It turned out that all of the baby’s siblings had also had respiratory problems and mom told me that their rental property had mold in it. Apparently the landlord had done nothing, and neither had the health department. I made sure I told everyone at the hospital and mentioned it in my run report so that maybe she’ll have a leg to stand on when she tries again to fix it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs