Lost in okay calls and love

It’s amazing how familiar I’ve become with the city I work in. My partner and I were both from out of town when we started, and we have found our way to every call without assistance. Well, on Wednesday a call went out to Apple Ave. I looked it up in our map book, and there was no apple avenue, only apple street. “Oh, apple street, we know where that is!” So we headed on over to there, and couldn't find the correct address. We called our dispatch to inquire. They say, you know apple ave, near the airport. My partner and I looked at each other. We were nowhere near the airport. What the heck! I didn't even know where to look in the map book now. I called up dispatch again, and got the cross streets, which luckily were in the map book. We ended up with a 15+ minute response time, but at least we know where apple ave is now (other than not in the map book.) Luckily the patient wasn’t critical.

On Thursday we were called for a car into a house. Whatever this call was about, I wanted to know. So we ran over there and found a car, that had indeed been run into a house. It got interesting when I discovered that the car was parked at the time. The cars owner was there, and I asked him if he was hurt, and he said “No, I was inside the house.” I was a little confused. It turned out that the car was parked on the street, someone in (reportedly) an SUV, crossed the center line, slammed into the car, forced it up a hill and into the house. In the process, the car was soundly destroyed. But the house was okay. The SUV in question: nowhere to be found. We found it pretty amusing to leave the scene of a car v. house and say “In service, no patient.”

Sometimes the local concert arena allows the customers to drink during the concert. This led to a guy who um, drank a little and face planted into the sidewalk. I couldn’t tell if he was confused because he hit his head, or because he drank so much beer that I needed to air out the ambo after we delivered him safely to the ER.

Then there was the guy with more complaints than my last 20 patients combined. He called us in the middle of the night, and then wasn’t quite sure if he wanted to go. Oh, at that hour of the morning, you’re going. I’m awake, and so are you. He complained of arm pain, back pain, neck pain, coldness, a headache, and some other problems I don’t want to mention. Then he had a great answer to my favorite question. “How long has all this been going on?” “Oh, off and on for about a month.” Why he chose 5am to call us is a mystery akin to that of creation itself.

I’ve also now experienced my first New Hampshire snow storm. So far, it feels just like Maryland. The drivers are just as bad, and I think all the streets are going to be white from now until May, not due to snow, but to the ridiculous amount of salt they use.

Have I mentioned lately that I’m in love? And have I mentioned lately that long distances relationships are nearly unbearable? Who invented them?! I want to know, I will hunt them down, and question "why, why why!?"
But at least I know that with this one, the love will not fade. (why? well, because I have awesome taste in shoes, of course!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs