Underexcited

Today I finally had orientation for the hospital that I ‘work for.’ My ambulance company is owned by a local hospital; therefore we are all subject to this interminable orientation. Um…yawn…zzzZZZzzz…


Whoa, I just fell asleep trying to think of something to interesting to say about orientation. I won’t try again. I had been forewarned about it though. Several people recommended that I bring a book, headphones, mini-DVD player, novelty glasses with eyes drawn on them, or a mannequin in my likeness to sit there, while I do something more entertaining, like, anything else.

Some of the speakers tried to keep it interesting by getting ‘audience’ participation. One moment I particularly liked was when the lady was going on about God knows what and said: “The bottom line is that were here for the pa…” indicating that we were to fill in the blank, and at that moment, all I could think of was “paycheck.” She was going for “patient” of course.

In the end, I was grateful for air conditioning, free food, and hilarious videos about harassment, HIPAA, and cultural diversity. For example: “Can you spot the HIPAA violations?” This preceded a video where a lady learns her neighbor has HIV because she read a computer screen, a cop gets patient information on his ex-wife for his custody trial, and a guys liver gets sold on the black market. Wait. That wasn’t in there, but it should have been!
Then we watched a video about cultural differences. This highlighted the classic ‘coining’ on children, the consequences of judging a book by its cover, and that religious views can get in the way of modern medicine. Unfortunately, from what I’ve seen at work, some people need to re-visit this video and all of it’s hackneyed lessons.

I also finally signed up for benefits, learned the magic of earned time, got a pointless ID card, and ate yummy cookies.

Work this weekend was pretty good, hot, but overall not too taxing, which I appreciated as I am currently battling a summer cold. Die, cold germs, die!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs