Live free or die?

I’ve learned a lot in the last week and a half. For one, moving may be an adventure, but it’s not fun all of the time, or even some of the time. Come to think of it, moving’s not really fun at all until you get to unpack. Some getting here numbers: around 9.5 hours, 542 miles, 7 states, about 8 toll booths, 30+ dollars in said tolls, and a 24 foot moving truck.

I’ve also learned a lot about my new state, New Hampshire. There are a lot of misnomers about this state. For example, the NH state bird. The purple finch, you might say? No way! It is really what can be called: Aedes atlanticus, or, the mosquito. This, by the way, is also the Alaskan state bird. NH state animal? White tailed deer seems a logical answer, but it’s actually the traffic pylon. Other varieties include the cone, and the blinkey sawhorse thing, which are all very common in the summertime. The state bird and animals are pretty easy to spot, and you actually earn points for how many you kill and/or hit, respectively. And you think it’s called the granite state? Well, that’s completely true, all of the curbs are granite, and even the walkway at our house is made of granite.

Now to this “Live free or Die” thing. The full quote of the revolutionary war hero, Gen. John Stark from 1809 is as follows:
"Live free or die; death is not the worst of evils."
Back then it meant, well, that death is not the worst of all evils, but today it means that New Hampshire residents would rather die than wear helmets on motorcycles or gasp! pay taxes. It is often quoted today as “Live fee or die.” As without state income tax or sales tax, they just use other euphemisms to glaze over the fact that you are, indeed, paying taxes. Let me tell you, I almost died when I saw how much it is to register the truck!

I’ve loaded some pictures of my rooms for you enjoyment. They too are a work in progress, so ignore the extra crap lying around. I am enjoying them immensely; a little dorm room meets real life room, a little maturity meets childhood. Please follow this link to them.
I swear, now that I have the disco patch and a NH state paramedic license, I assure you that the EMS side of this blog will pick back up, it’s been a while!

And one last thing: if this picture brings a tear to your eye, you are a true New Hampshireite. No NH house is complete without an homage to the old man. Usually a picture festooned with black drapery, spotlight optional. Excuse me, but I need a tissue!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs