Suspended is such a harsh word

Last week, because I have completed a certain amount of clinical hours and competencies, I was suspended from clinicals and forced to give the rest up to other students. “Okay,” I said to this, “I’ll just go anyway.” but I decided to be a good student and clarify the consequences (if any). When I inquired, the department resorted to threatening us with a failing grade or pulling our national registry application. Needless to say, I’ve been pretty bored recently, and mad.

Although, my suspension has given me more time to participate in some fun activities, kayak more than usual, freak out about entering the real world, hang out and do absolutely nothing, and go to work.

My last clinical, which will serve as my last clinical ever, aside from the ambulance getting hit by a train and having a drunk fall on me, I got looked up on a police “Should I be afraid of the person I’ve pulled over?” computer. While we were hanging out with some local cops, my preceptor commandeered one of their cars and started looking up everyone she could think of on their little computer. I can now happily report that I have no traffic violations or outstanding warrants, what a relief! I guess no one noticed that 15M mysteriously transferred to my Swiss bank account…

The high point of last week was donating about 8 inches of my hair to Locks of Love. It was an interesting experience, as they were doing it right here at school. Most everyone donating was really apprehensive, except for the girl who ended up sitting behind me. She proudly proclaimed that she couldn’t wait to get rid of her hair, that was, until the hair cutter waved a 10”+ long lock of her former hair in front of her.

This past weekend was the weekend of family affairs. We had the 1st family wedding in many years. I was the ‘guestbook girl’ and took my duties seriously. On Friday I had to go and eat a lovely Italian rehearsal dinner. I also did a little rehearsing myself: “Would you care to sign the guestbook?” “Here’s a pen for you.” “Let me turn the page first.” All the rehearsing paid off as I think everyone signed the guest book, and if they didn’t want to, I stamped their hand with a large ‘X’ so that they couldn’t get drinks from the open bar. That was my primary duty. Later my duties consisted of enjoying the buffet, drinking a piƱa colada, and socializing, phew!
On Sunday we had a surprise birthday party for my grandmother. It was a good surprise, and a lovely event, although I didn’t stay long, as I went to the opera here in Baltimore with my Godfather. After a beautiful opera, I returned home to reap the benefits of said birthday party in the form of leftover food and drink, and spending time with the niece and nephews. Then I ended the family event weekend by driving back to school again as I had to work on Monday.
Today is my niece and nephews’ 4th birthday (twins), although they can’t read yet, I’ll use this forum to inform the world and wish them a happy birthday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs