Miscellaneous

This morning started with an interesting phone call. It didn’t come up as anyone in my phone book which usually stops me from picking it up. But I looked at the number and it was local from my hometown so I decided to answer.

Me: “Hello?”
Other end: “Hi, this is officer ____from the Maryland State Police.”
My brain: “Holy crap! What did we do?”
My heart: “I'm going to start racing now!”
Me: “Hi…”
Other end: “I’m your preceptor for your MSP aviation ride-alongs.”
My brain: “Whew!…wait…Holy crap!”
My heart: “I'm going to keep racing!”
Me: “Great!”

Needless to say I’ve worked out the details of my first cough-helicopter-ahem ride. (don’t tell my parents I’ll be riding a helicopter, and definitely don’t tell me.) I won’t disclose the date yet. But as I’m riding on the trooper in my hometown, it will be hard for my parents to not notice me come home and then go missing for 12 hours.

Today I discovered that my trucks' gas gauge is broken. I watched with horror as the gauge went from nearly empty to completely empty right before my eyes, and I wasn’t even driving. So, I looked for a big puddle of gas on the pavement where someone might have drilled a hole in my tank, but found none. I decided to chance it and made it to my destination without having to be towed or pushed anywhere. I went to the nearest gas station and filled it up. Not even 8 or 9 gallons of gas would make the gauge move off of ‘E.’ I really need to start working now that I have to stop at every gas station I go past for fear of running out of gas. This will be almost as fun as driving at night with no dash lights (I think I’m going the speed limit.) (I guess I have enough gas to get home.) How convenient.

I am also now the proud owner of light bulb shaped salt and pepper shakers. A seemingly random item, but they will go nicely with my collection. This set probably makes my collection about 90ish pairs. (I know, I know, but I already have that t-shirt that says “NERD” so I’m just keeping up my status.) Procuring these reminded me of how fun it is to buy stuff from online auctions.
Wait as long as your nerves allow you to before bidding, decide on a reasonable maximum bid, and the fun begins. But, when you get outbid, you automatically detest the person who did it, even though you don’t know them. So, just raise your maximum bid and, damn! outbid again. This means war. Winning the auction then becomes an insatiable passion, you must win! You rationalize raising your max bid somehow and then wait, refreshing the page a million times in a five minute span until you are declared the winner. You celebrate with a little happy dance, and congratulate yourself on a job well done. Or something like that.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Rest easy - I absoutely WILL NOT tell your parents that you are going to risk life and limb riding in some damn helicopter!

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs