Lift this!

I have been officially offered and accepted a job. It should be cool. I had a clinical for school with the same company and the unit I was on only got three jobs in 12 hours. Let me tell you, there’s nothing like putting in clinical time with a company you are about work for. It’s a little more difficult as all you can think is “In about a week, I could be getting paid for this!” Oh, well.
On Friday I had my required physical and lift test. I had to go back to the same creepy clinic where I got my drug test. Every room I went into seemed to be a storage/exam room with stacks of miscellaneous boxes marked with ‘to be filed’ ‘pregnancy tests’ ‘private patient information’ ‘we’re not sure what this is’ and ‘looks important.’
For the lift test I had to lift a 60 pound box onto a shelf a little higher than my waist 10 times, put that same box on a shelf almost as tall as me, then walk around the room with the box (my new best friend) and walk up stairs with it. Of course, I had to be on my best lifting behavior, never using my back like a good EMSer. As a result, my quads hurt like crazy! I even stretched right after and still I’ve had a hard time going down stairs, going up stairs, sitting down, getting up, etc.

I will admit here that my class has been getting screwed out of clinical time this semester (hence lack of interesting blog entries). Many complaints have been made; outnumbered by the number of excuses we’ve received.
Now that we’re all in panic mode about it, the clinicals are adding up. Predictably, November is going to be crazy for me and everyone else. Right now I am nearly tripling my clinical time in one month. Things will get even more interesting when I put in some night shifts, this is going to be fun!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs