River Ramblings

Since last I wrote...not much has happened. I turned 22, kayaked until my arms fell off (makes you wonder how I’m typing this right now), studied, ate ice cream for lunch, met a hamster, remembered why I hate summer then remembered why I love summer, and posted more pictures on my photobucket account.

Yesterday I learned river respect by riding down my first (what you could call) real river. Up until now I've done open water and a class I river. This river had sections of class II which were really fun and challenging. It was an amazing experience. It was the first time when I could really feel the power of the river; I learned quickly how to read the water and chose a good line. I got a great feeling of accomplishment when I could look back at what we just came through, and say “that was awesome!”

Kopapa (my kayak) and I had only a few moments of thinking “we’re in a tight spot!” But, as Dori says: “Just keep paddling, paddling, paddling, paddling...” or something like that.
It was a beautiful river as well; we saw lots of wildlife (especially if you include local yokels). A train went by several times, so close that we could feel the vibration in the water, we also saw a couple of dams, and went over one of them, (it was just a short drop.) Overall, a lovely day. Now that I've officially worried my relatives about kayaking, I am officially preparing for my registry retake. That’s about all I want to say about that for now.

I'm currently staying at my friend's apartment, and instead of keeping the kayaks in the truck, we have 'domesticated' them. It's amazing how kayaks seem to get bigger when you put them in a room and how 8'6" doesn't seem that long until you try to carry it up 3 flights of stairs. Getting them back down the stairs isn't nearly as fun as you think it could be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs