Flash = happy dance

There are few things more satisfying than seeing the flash when starting an IV. Every time I see it, I want to jump up and do a dance, but I manage restrain myself. I don't like to show my craziness to patients...at least not while I have a needle in their arm.
I had a city shift last weekend. It was my first day shift and I think I liked it better. I was lost slightly less than 100% of the time, which was nice. I can't stand not knowing where I am, and it was easier to keep track in the daylight.
I started a record two IVs, and gave glucagon, my first real drug. This was a pretty harrowing experience. Glucagon has to be reconstituted and, of course, we were already rolling when I started, so I got to almost stick myself about 4 times. There is definitely an art to wielding a needle in the back of a moving ambulance. I also got my first call for a violent crime, a cutting. I was bandaging this while my patient was sitting on the marble steps of a formstone house in the heart of Baltimore. For the first time I felt Baltimorean, it was pretty cool.
So, now it's spring break (and there is much rejoicing). I'm thoroughly enjoying doing very little. Next, next weekend is another busy one, with at least one city and one ER shift.
Have a happy whatever it is you may be celebrating this time of year!

Comments

Anonymous said…
the flash is without a doubt the best thing in the world. I too want to dance. I did my first combat IV, combative alzheimers patient in the ER. being held by two big male RN's. I said I didnt want to do it ( because she was so combative ) and he said "well if you don't need the practice...." I think in retrospect he didn't want to do it. I nailed it on the first attempt. I was so proud.

b (med student in NY)

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs