Down by the Sea

On Saturday I took my last school trip to Brighton. I was expecting a beach town full of burnt tourists and drunk people. I was partially right, but Brighton also has plenty of culture and non burnt or drunk entertainment. They have a great little museum that has a couch designed by Salvador Dali, and even, randomly, some Egyptian mummies. Are there any left in Egypt? Everyone has one here, you can buy them at antique stores.
They have a great building, the Royal Pavilion, commissioned by George IV in 1803. From the outside it looks like an Hindu temple, which is quite surprising as you head to the English beach.
And, the coast! I hesitate to call it a beach as it is not sandy at all, rather full of tiny, beautiful rocks, that at first glance I decided would be therapeutic on my bare feet. How wrong I was. I gingerly stepped out of my sandals and into the path of the surf. Struck by the freezing water, I attempted to retreat but the now decidedly non-therapeutic rocks were quite painful and with each step I sunk deeper into their grip. I did manage to get back on dry land and replace my sandals. Therapeutic! Ha.
But, it seems that people don't go to Brighton for the swimming. Rather, they go for the sun, and who wouldn't. I feel like the whole South of England was there that day tolerating the rocky beach to get some sun. Half drunk hen parties were around every corner, along with street performers, a ton of cops, and in actuality, lots of burnt tourists. Brighton pier is an scarily enormous structure full of gambling, games, rides, and overpriced essential beach foods. Enticing smells came from all directions, crepes, doughnuts, candy floss, and fish and chips. Not one bit of saltwater taffy, caramel popcorn, or thrashers fries. Strange.
We had a good time wasting 2p coins on games and laughing at the insane rides they had to swing people over the ocean in the most vomit inducing ways possible. Altogether it was a very enjoyable day, even worth the 4 hour drive!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs